About the Role:
HNSA seeks a researcher to conduct a quantitative survey on home-based workers involved in apparel and footwear supply chains in India, Nepal and Pakistan. The objective of the survey is to bring visibility to homebased workers and to promote transparency among garment and apparel supply chains in South Asia. The study is part of the Hidden Homeworkers (EU funded) initiative.
The study will include a survey of the different stakeholders apart from home-based workers involved in the supply chain such as sub-contractors, contractors, factory staff and workers, master weavers, worker associations and so on. The findings of the survey will be shared with local organisations for verification and finalisation before it is presented in the form of a report, to be circulated to wider stakeholders.
Role and Responsibilities
The Researcher will be expected to conduct the following tasks under the guidance of the HNSA project team:
- Conducting a literature review
- Developing a draft methodology for the research study in collaboration with HNSA
- Sharing the methodology for final review
- Finalisation of the research methodology
- Developing survey questionnaires and other data collection tools for the research study
- Regular interactions with data collectors via email and call
- Conducting field visits along with the data collectors, if required
- Analysing quantitative data and qualitative collected by data collectors
- Attending regular project update meetings with researchers, data collectors and the HNSA project coordinator
- Writing the final research report with rounds of feedback and review
Qualification and Experience:
- University degree in Development Studies, Social Work, Labour Studies, Informal Economy, Gender Studies, Economics, or other related Social Sciences Fields. An advance degree in the above topics will be given priority.
- Work experience of a minimum of five to seven years, which should include considerable experience in large scale surveys and working with local communities at grassroots level.
- Work experience with quantitative research design, implementation, analysis and reporting.
- Familiarity and prior experience with the process of data collection and data analysis. Knowledge of quantitative data analysis tools such as Stata, R, SPSS, and Microsoft Excel, is a must.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in Hindi or Nepali will be an added advantage.
- Comfortable with frequent use of virtual calls, email, and Microsoft Office.
- Comfortable with travel to field locations for monitoring and team management
- Ability to work with multi- stakeholder team and project management team.
Duration: 8 months
Location: Nepal or India
Remuneration: USD 5,500 (paid post the completion of the assignment)
Location: The researcher will be based out of either Nepal or India and be available to attend meetings when required (both virtual and in person).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV and a cover letter no later than 15th of August 2019 to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research Consultant”.